Today the weather outside finally felt like winter. What brings more cheer to a cold winter night than a hot cup of tea? If you do not live alone, chances are good you make a pot of tea and share it with your household. A pot of Sri Lanka chai tastes the best when piping hot. As everyone sits and talks that pot of hot water will grow cold. Lukewarm tea appeals to no one.
What are your options?
1) Talk less and drink faster - not happening. We know better than to expect that of you. Everyone likes to chat.
2) Refill the cups and stick them into the microwave. This will result in cups so hot they burn your hands.
3) Might we recommend a tea cozy. (Americans spells it cozy and the British spell it cosy).
Most tea drinks have heard of a tea cozy, but have never used one. Other people have seen them at their Grandma's house, and are scared to use one for fear of being a tea drinking Granny. For those who do not know the meaning of a tea cozy, it is simply an insulated cover placed over a tea pot. The cozy keeps the water hotter for longer. Most often the cozy is made out of two layers of cotton with insulation in the middle. Think of it like a pillow wrapped around the tea pot.
The tea cozy started back with the women of Victorian times. Tea drinking became a social engagement and too much chatter led to cold tea. Homemade tea cozies were created to insulate the tea pots. Today you can find tea cozies in two forms: dome and "snuggie" style. The dome is essentially a large bag that sits overtop the entire tea pot. You have to remove the cover to pour another cup of tea. Only teapot's belly (yes, the round part is actually called the belly) is covered in the snuggie style, with the spout exposed for easy pouring.
Today cozies are very stylish so no one will think of you as a Granny!
1. If you are a cat lover there are tea cozies shaped like cats.
2. There are cozies with toile patterns, floral designs and everything in between.
3. Sheep, berries, dogs, geometric patterns... If you can name it you can find a tea cozy to match.
4. It is even possible to find matching napkins and table cloths so your entire table flawlessly blends together.
A Tea Affair sells a line of practical, affordable tea cozies. Come into the store to see our ever-revolving line of cozy options.